Tuesday, January 30, 2018

January 29, 2018--Have I Lost My Mind?

January 29, 2018
I recently decided to begin a unit with my English II class that relinquished control of almost every aspect of the unit-designing-phase to my students. I wanted to take Matt Bertasso’s advice and teach my students how to fish as opposed to giving them the fish. So I set out to deconstruct my unit planning, determine what I absolutely must have control over, and identify a pitch or my students. Much easier said than done. Within the first few hours of making this decision, I was already planning the unit I wanted to see done instead of focusing on the problem/project question; I was looking for the literature I wanted them to use instead of focusing on just the literature I knew couldn’t be left out. I was struggling to give up control. I believe teachers must have this innate desire to have control over every aspect of their classrooms. We struggle to let go and leave the students to their own devices, many times out of fear that the students won’t accomplish what we set out for them to do. I admit, this is something I have struggled with and will continue to struggle with, but I need to look out for the best in my students. How best do I learn? Am I learning best in a canned situation with every step planned out for me? No. I learn best when I can jump in headfirst, sometimes not knowing exactly where I’m going, plan along the way, and see where my journey leads me. I want to provide my students with as many of those authentic opportunities as possible because I believe that is how they will remember what they’ve studied and be proud of what they’ve studied.

So what am I planning to do with my English II class? I’m not 100% certain, but I know that it will revolve around a research question, perhaps of my own creation or perhaps something they devise. I know I want them to use primary sources. I know I want them to address something about American Colonialism--its impact on Native Americans or American geography; gender roles during American Colonialism; struggles and hardships faced by American Colonists. I know they have a limited time to complete this--two weeks. I know that I need/want to teach Patrick Henry’s speech to the Virginia Convention and probably need to address the Declaration of Independence and Constitution; however, those are always so dry, and I don’t want to waste valuable classtime boring my students.

So many unknowns at this moment. I’m not sure where I’m going. I’m just hoping I don’t fall flat on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brief Hiatus

As the semester draws to a close, I will be  taking a brief hiatus from blogging to focus on end-of-year duties. I may begin blogging again ...